R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo MR-4TC SD
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:32 PM
rai
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mugler
the 1.5mm universals are nothing but trouble & that's why they came up with the 2mm version just like everyone else. for one the tiny pin stresses and dents the coupler end of the shaft to where the parts become sloppy and there's more vibration in general so there's a source for chatter...this vibration causes the pin to either snap or a more common problem causes pin to slide out of one end of axle, which BTW check for it, that may be the case now and you might have not noticed it, with 1.5mm pins I checked for this after each run and most of the time would find pins sliding out, very annoying! the 1.5mm pin is also about 1 to 2mm short in length of what it should have been.
Also check your droop and a-arm angles. If they are too steep going downwards that will create chatter & vibration problems too.
Again thanks mugler for the info. Now i can see the problem with the 1.5 mm pin. I have like 4 stocks of that universal shafts with me now in case something happens during competition which is bad and it does cost me alot . Do i need special mod when using the 2mm coupler other than cutting the thread? Or is it just a quick fit in?

Touching on the droop, well about 80% of drift competition here in Brunei uses tarmac surfaces so having a very low droop may cause any object to be caught on the chassis. So how would you counter this and how to tamper the a-arms angles?

Cheers