R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
HarryLeach
Tech Master

Alright, I made some runs with my car yesterday, and I have a strange issue that I'm not 100% on how to correct.

I found a good deal on scales, so I verified [didn't change anything] that my car is balanced within 0.07%, L-R close enough to 50% cross weight, and I'm showing 41% Front weight with a total weight of 697g. Car also shows no tweak, all the bearings are running free, everything should be right in the world, eh?

Unfortunately, I don't have a real good way to measure and set front toe at the moment [Hudy system on the way], but I'm running the toe as close to zero, or slight toe-out.

Anyway, at slow-medium speed and takeoff, the car jumps left on acceleration. Through right hand corners, I'm getting some double-steer and a slight push on entry, but can drive through smoother with more throttle. In left hand corners, I have to be very gentle on the throttle, or the car spins out, and it enters the corner very "crisp". At speed the car drives straight, doesn't wander, and isn't nervous.

I was primarily practicing my TC outdoors, just running my Copperhead between TC packs and tweaking, so I didn't spend a lot of time beyond the obvious of making sure all the pivots were tight, no slop in steering linkage or shock, etc.

The carpet hasn't had any racing on it since spring started, but traction seemed to be pretty good, running Purple/Pink tire compound, and tires are wearing evenly.

Front kingpins seem to be moving smooth.

Any ideas? Rest of the setup is per kit instructions. Would dry damper tubes explain this? I didn't check them at the track yesterday.