R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HoBao Hyper 9E thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 10:12 PM
MindThoughts
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default LiPo(Lithium Ion Polymer) vs. LiFePO4(Lithium Iron Phosphate), LiPo is Lighter.

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
MindThoughts, I do indeed realize the advantages, but in my application,
my batteries are twice as light as yours so I'm allowed to put the weight
forward to rearward to my liking while still maintaining weight required for balance equalization. Lighter and less mah hour however I can drain 100% of the battery. 7S=6S and even the 7S was lighter.

If I were to get a carbon fiber chassis I'd wouldn't wanna run my car.
it would get all scratched up on the bottom. The Hyper9 drives good enough as it is, decimating competition. mind you if everything has loctite everything and glue things lol
Hi xDaRReLLx,
I apprecieate your excitement about your awesome buggy, believe me; all of us Hyper 9e owners love our buggys. But that excitement alone does not make your batteries any lighter. I do not know where you get your figures from. But according to my research, which may be off if for no other reason then the limited information you've given me.

You say you're running a 7 cell a123. I'm guessing that's the older cells that people were taking out of DeWalt drills. and not the newer cells that MaxAmps sells and look identical to the LiPo battery, as far as the case looks from the outside.

You mention you are using a 7cell a123 and that it's voltage is that almost comparable to a 6cell LiPo. at least I think that's what 7s = 6s in your notes above mean.

from what I could find, a 6cell a123 at 2300 mah weighs about 500 Grams or 17.650 Ounces.(I did not see a 7 cell a123, but even the 6cell was heavier than the LiPo 3cell I use and thus will serve the purpose of weight comparison for our example here) I believe your suggestion was that your a123 6 or 7 cell weigh less than the Thunder Power 5200mah 3cell 447gram LiPo battery I use. I don't know why you thought that? If you wish to clarify your meaning, please do in great detail. I'm interested.

If you were using MaxAmps version of this Technology, they call it their "Green Series", a 6cell (Lithium Iron Phosphate, also known as a123) 2250 mah battery, looks identical to the flat cell outer case of a lipo battery. Weighs in at exactly 470 Grams or 16.58 Ounces.

As noted in my signature area, I run either one, 2 cell LiPo, or one 3 cell LiPo. Both of the 5200mah variety and weighing in at exactly 309 Grams and 447 Grams respectively. My guess is that you thought because you used less mah, in fact half the mah that I use, maybe you would weigh less too. But that is not the case as you can see. I use a 2cell lipo at ocrc raceway and my hyper 9e is as fast as I can handle and passes others running three and four cell lipo's, or even RC's running two 2cell lipo's in series making it a big bad 4cell. I run a 3cell LiPo only at very large tracks like Revelation Raceway, and even then, it's just insane fast. Just within control, but just beyond rediculous.

As for your concern with scratching up the bottom of your Carbon Fiber Chassis, if you were to have one. You could use the "Chassis Protective Sheet" Nitro House Part Number ASC9787.

You would have to trace each screw head and trim it out of the sheet in order to have access to each of your screws. But your chassis would not get scratched. As for me, I care as much for the bottom of my Matrix Carbon Chassis(If my dreams come true and Robert makes us one) getting scratched up as I do my tires getting scratched up. It's the bottom of the car, and though it's nice looking, it's not meant to look at and be nice looking. it's meant to get scratched up, it's also meant to be lighter than the metal chassis and that's one of the many purpose the Carbon Chassis Serves. Though it looks great, Thats not what it's made for. A Carbon Chassis is not Bling. It's more like Bang, for the buck. Especially in the case of Matrix Concepts Inc, Chassis.