R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is there really a big difference between the slash 4x4 and jammin 4x4?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
onemilekyle
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Coming from having a Slash 4x4 I can give you "real world" feedback. The Traxxas is a great truck; fun to drive, durable and it pretty quick. Holds it's own on the track if you have it setup right and is in the right hands. I had done just about everything under the sun to mine and felt as if it was at it's prime, since at that point nothing I did made it any faster around the track. I like to think of myself as a smooth, consistent and relatively fast driver, so that's not the issue. I spent countless hours with this car learning it. My "real world" findings is the slash simply can't compete against the Hyper or Jammin if it's in someones hands that has roughly the same skill as you do. Unless you have the steering/throttle control of the Gods, the Hyper/Jammin breaks, or they are unskilled drivers, the OFNA cars are going to be at the front.

After not being able to place well, always finishing mid-pack due to the slash's unpredictability and high tendency to get out of shape and/or roll, it was time to make the swap to something I felt was more track suited. My "real world" research on what was fast on the track landed me with a OFNA Hyper 10sc.

The difference between the Traxxas and the Hyper is NIGHT AND DAY. Once again, NIGHT AND DAY. No, I'm not exaggerating. Driving the Slash at 110% to be fast around the track, was driving the OFNA about 70% of what it's capable of. It's silly fast, retardedly predictable, durable and a absolute pleasure to drive on the track. I can now take the lines I want to lap after lap, jump smoothly effortlessly, and usually get around the track my whole heat without rolling since the truck is so sure footed. What has this resulted in? Winning qualifiers. Winning A-Mains. Putting me in the hunt for the win everytime I go out and race. This difference was immediate.

To those who say there isn't that big of a difference between the Slash and the OFNA line, stop kidding yourself. I always had the mentality that it did come down to the driver and setup. But my "real world" experience now taught me otherwise. It has a lot to do with your starting platform as well.

Take this as it's worth. I'm not knocking the Slash down or bad-talking Traxxas. They make a great product and I myself have owned quite a few. But if your serious about racing in this class, do yourself a favor and get a truck that's already been designed as a racer. Look at what the top drivers are running. That should be a pointer in itself.

Last edited by onemilekyle; 05-27-2010 at 08:17 AM.