R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TC3 Forum
Thread: TC3 Forum
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2002, 07:14 AM
DrDiff
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Dragon Slayer
Dr.Diff.....just curious...why do you feel that foams will kill sedan????We have been debating the foam vs. rubber issue..everybody seems happy with rubber...even with the multidude of inserts...but, like foams...once you get the right set up...you just drive.....foams are about 1 maybe 2 laps more than rubber.....i tried foams and they immediatly felt easier to drive...but, as long as everybody is on the same tire????
Foam became my enemy back in the late 1980's early 1990's. I used to run pan cars back then. Each week I would buy new tires only to chunk the sidewalls out after less than 3 minutes into a 4 minute heat. People said to buy a tire truer so that I could cut them down so as not to chunk them. This was imposible as all my spare money was going in to tires. No way to afford a tire truer. Then the Exotic foam came out. When $20 would buy a set of greens it jumped to $30 a pair for purples. To pay that kind of money and then 80% of it thrown away on a tire truer quickly angered me.

Sedans came out [Tamiya TA-01] with rubber tires. They lasted FOREVER and better yet they did not chunk out! A simple phone call and you can find out what compounds and inserts work. True they aren't as fast as foam but you don't have the constant diameter changes that foam has. Beginners find it difficult enough to chase the chassis setup let alone find gearing for tires that continually shrink.

I wish IFMAR would wake up and ban inserts for all scales and classes. That would force tire companies to firm up tires and would limit the high cost high wear tires. I like the Medial Pro idea of built in inserts. Unfortunately the speed genie has been let out and will never go back into its bottle. The price to be paid is lack of newbies. when you ailenate newbies, the class dies out. It happened in 1/10 scale pan car on road and it will happen in sedans now that the foam genie has been set free.

I would also like to see a limit of 12 turns [any wind] for mod classes. By limiting motor technology we can limit battery technology. $100 street price for 6 cells is a bit ridiculous