R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Elections for President
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 02:35 PM
JDCrow
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSeay
Robert,

Your right, it is an issue, and as a candidate JD has not once indicated the 5W's of how if he were to be elected he would change things up. From the recent post's he has made I feel that he is perfectly content with the day to day operations of things.

JD,

You have lots of opportunity to talk about what you want to fix and how you are going to do it, in general terms of course I and others have brought up issues that we see with ROAR leadership and mechanics, while I certainly can understand that the current ROAR reps, you included don't want to be constantly lambasted with what we perceive is going wrong and feel like you have to come on here to defend themselves, how about we hear from you with what you see the issues are and what you think you can actually fix or improve in your two year term?
Your perception is not correct. Content with how things are, or how things have been is completely misread. Proactive and future driven has been the actions taken in my capacity. Just ask around of the excom, manufacturers, racers, committee members who served with me, race directors and im sure you find out, being content and not working on changes to improve our organization and hobby are my behavior.

Originally Posted by jims10
I have often thought of running for ROAR president, but simply cannot. Why? Because I do not meet ROAR's qualifications to do so, particularly the mandatory one year of "brainwashing" ROAR requires of all future ExCom officers.

However, if I could be president, these are the top issues to address:

1. Fix Nationals - Crown ONE national champion.

2. Promote Hobby through local tracks (get younger and future members)

3. Safer Batteries

4. Promote realistic vehicles - promote short course, RCGT and VTA etc..

Many times, for no more than ROAR accomplishes, I feel they are too big management wise. Yet, at the same time, they are far too small to achieve much of anything. Rather than concerning themselves with which
classes a 'sponsored' driver can compete in, they can spend more time working directly with the Region Directors, tracks and ultimately racers.
1) Narrowing the number of National Classes at any given Championship is already in play. The Super Stock divisions have already been removed at the ROAR Nationals (on and offroad)

2) Tracks, which are often private run operations, many of which are associated with hobby shops, have a vested interest to promote their enterprise. People at the tracks are already aware of R/C Racing. Promotion of the hobby to gain new participants will only come from reaching those individuals in other places. Some of that has been done over time. Much more will take place. ROAR doesnt always benefit from these activities. We do occasionally gain a new member or track, but usually the industry and retailers who see the bulk of the benefit of such promotion. Yet ROAR is being asked by members to carry the burden (ie $$$$$$) to generate creative and advertising for these endeavors. ROAR will look for cost effective ways to create awareness of our event, as well as build strategic alliances where possible.

3) We have been doing just that. I raced 2 different classes recently (2wd SCT and 4wd SCT vehicles) 6 Heat Races, 2 Mains, and 6-8 practice sessions with 1 Battery this weekend.

4) Already doing that. And more to come.