R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Gadget, not sure how you come to either of your conclusions. Using oil-filled shocks in both the rear (side to side) and the front creates a considerable inertia in order to get them moving, and has issues with the 'pack' effect at higher oil weights.

Using silicone oil in simple piston/cylinders overcomes these issues completely. The system is light and very responsive (be it rear damper tubes or front kingpins running in the lower wishbone bush) and easier to adjust. There is almost no inertia compared to shocks, and no 'pack' effect.

The issue with the 12iS front end is where the weight is as Damit says. The additional concern is that the unsprung weight has now gone up considerably, which makes it even more difficult to get the suspension performance we need. Overall, if this was such a good idea, then we would all have been using the 12iS front end since 1984!

Whilst I appreciate your points, I hope you were not suggesting that they mean this is a better design than what we already have. If so, I disagree!!