R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Elections for President coming soon
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
JDCrow
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I am JD Crow. ROAR Technical Director. I will be seeking the Office of President in 2010. Some background for those who may not know me or my background. Many I have had the pleasure of meeting throughtout the years either at events, or online, or because you always had a part i needed to make me think I could go fast.

ROAR Member since 1988
RC Racing since 1987 with a broad array of formats.

Quarter Scale Grand National Racing for RACO late 1980's thruought Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana,and Texas during the SW 1/4 Scale Series

1:10 Pancar On-Road and Oval for Snuffy Smith’s Original Hyperdrive. Had the opportunity to witness and race at the ultimate r/c racing expience (promotion, venue, competition) ever, world class Bob Hosch (sp?) Lake Whipporwlll International Speedway.

1:12 Onroad Racing

1:10 Fuel 2wd 235 Racing Serpent Cars during the 1990’s racing Southwest Championship Series and ROAR Nationals. Raced a Touring Car Body while others were racing CanAms and had a wonderful experience.

1:10 Fuel RC Gas Truck and 1:8 Fuel Buggy racing with RCPro Series

1:5 Scale On-Road Racing FG Cars at ROAR Nationals and in Europe

1:10 Off-Road Racing 2wd Buggy, 4wd Buggy, 2wd and 4wd Short Course Trucks

Race Organization and Promotion
I have Constructed Tracks and Organized Racing Events for more than 20 years. I Constructed “The Rock Raceway” in Hensley Arkansas. Promoted the Local and Series events held there during for several years. Track remains active paved oval racing site for QSAC racing.

Constructed indoor On-Road Carpet racing for 1:12 and 1:10 pan cars during the early 1990’s, promoted and operated the racing programs.

Organized and developed electric off-road racing series (Arkansas Championship Off-Road Racing Series) in 2007-2008. Total ground up revival of electric off-road racing in the State. These efforts renewed electric racing for older tracks and investment by a private individual to create a new indoor racing venue for our state.

Vision

I wrote the original Slash Spec Racing Rules which many venues quickly adopted for the basis of Traxxas Slash Spec Racing in the USA. These rules were written and published on RCTech and quickly adopted by major race promoters as the basic racing rules for the emerging Traxxas Slash Short Course Truck.

ROAR Leadership
I was appointed to the ROAR Electric Off-Road Racing Committee in November 2007. I was Elected Chairman of the Committee by my committee members. During my first year term, my leadership was responsible for several improvements and progress developments which the Executive Committee adopted for ROAR Electric Racing:
• ROAR 1:8 Electric Buggy Class Rules and Specifications developed and adopted
• ROAR Race Lengths advanced from 5 Minutes Heats/Mains to 6 Minute Heat/Mains
• ROAR Short Course Truck Class Rules and Specifications developed and adopted

After effectively leading the electric Off-Road Racing Committee for nearly one year, the Executive Committee invited my to join that level of leadership in filling the vacant Technical Director position. After phone interviews with the members of the executive committee, I accepted an offer to join the Executive Team.

Since my appointment to the Position, I have worked to improve relationships between Manufacturers and the ROAR Organization. My role serves as a liaison between the manufacturer and several Labs during the product inspection and approval processes. That includes Racing Bodies, Battery, and Motor Approvals. I also routinely remain engaged with Manufacturers with regard to product developments for our Racing Classes, as well as responding to inquiries regarding interpretations of rules or permitted uses of products at our events. My role also serves to leverage information from Racers, Tracks, and Race Promotors to identify a new segment or trend which can have beneficial, or negative impact on our members, organization, and hobbies future.

Being a racer at heart, I always look for ways to raise the bar to move our passion from kids and boys playing with toy cars in someones back yard track, to WOW look at that Race Venue and those amazing machines.

Committment
One of the biggest challenges the Organization faces is manpower. We have many volunteer racers who raise their hand and seek Director positions, committee seats, Region Assistant Positions, and then disappear. All of these positions are vital to the health and growth of ROAR. And all take more time then most can imagine. I know in my position both as a committee chair, and technical director role, its not unusual to find myself spending 40 hours (often more) a week communicating with racing members, mfg affiliates (active and aspiring), non-member racers, track operators, and anyone who sends questions my way. Without dedicated members in all offices, the organization will continue to be taxed for resources.

Not only ROAR, but R/C in general, I feel will have some serious challenges ahead, More and More non-affiliated/sanctioned events, while adding exposure to many, do present some concerns that could affect every race director, organization, and manufacturer. Particularly the trend with 24hour Indoor fuel events.

I look forward to the Challenges the 2011 Leadership Team at all levels will address and take action upon. Either as the Face of ROAR, Technical Director, or a racing or non-racing member.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide background. I look forward to questions, thoughts, as well as your support. Not only for the election season, but during the 2 years the term will run.

Regards,
JD Crow

Last edited by JDCrow; 05-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.