R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rules for 2010 ROAR Electric On-Road Paved Nats at NorCal Hobbies
Old 05-06-2010, 09:33 AM
schurcr
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe
No Mate, no flames as we obviously wont be following ROAR on this one.
I was chatting with Shawn Palmer on this matter last month and (he is a wealth of information), at the time he could not comment on the units within the lists, however i got the feeling there was going to be a true list of spec units. Leaving it open like that list will only lead to distrust, and do nothing to limit the scalating costs of what should be a spec class.
The escalating costs aren't as bad as you want to believe. Every ESC on this list can be found for less than $200 US. I can remember brushed ESC's that cost that much or more at one point in their life cycle span. Keynce and LRP both had units that were just as expensive if not more. I can remember spending upwards of +$200 for a Novak Cyclone and the programming unit 10+ years ago. No one complained about those pieces of equipment or their prices in what was a spec class, Stock Touring Car.

ROAR as a sanctioning body can't build rules for or around the use of a single manufacturers product. We wanted to be as inclusive as possible as to eliminate the financial burden for racers by not composing the list of only non programmable esc's that meet the criteria set. Thus forcing racers to source old legacy equipment or buy one of the newer esc's on the list.

Why force racers to buy a lesser quality (internal components), lower cost unit that will have to be upgraded by more $$$$ and new equipment when that racer is ready to make the move up if we can make the more flexible, no cost upgradable unit do the exact same thing??

To me this looks like a win win for all, manfacurer and racer.