R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Havoc 3s/HV4.5 First Test
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM
ShortCourseOnly
Tech Master

Default Novak Havoc 3s/HV4.5 First Test

When Novak announced the 550 Ballistic motor for 4x4 SCT classes thier literature stated that this motor is compatible with the Havoc Pro, HVPro, Kinetic, and the Havoc 3s. All but the Havoc 3s are rated at 540 amp/phase current so I would not expect any issues. The Havoc 3s is rated at 120 amps/phase which seems low for the HV motors. Since I already had a Havoc 3s I decided to get the HV4.5 and try this.

I have my motor/ESC mounted into a Jammin SCRT10 with the stock 13t pinion. I changed the base set-up that comes with the Havoc 3s a bit to my liking. I prefer to manage EXP in my radio and not the ESC so I set the throttle curve to linear. I also reduced the deadband a bit.

I was having some issues with my set-up which I finally corrected by replacing my receiver after installing an external BEC. Novak Tech stated that the BEC should support my JR 9100s, AMB PT and 30mm fan but I was having voltage fluctuations during my initial testing. The External BEC fixed some of my issues but with my S3000 receiver glitching the results were the same. During heat races my ESC was resetting and steering was going. I will test without the external BEC soon to see if the Havoc internal BEC can handle my set-up.

Temps were very low everywhere. My ESC was very cool and I never measured more than 100 deg. The motor was warm to the touch after 10 minutes running on my Gravity Hobbies 5000mAH/40C battery.

If you have a Havoc 3s it will work with the HV4.5 motor. I may try the Havoc Spec with the large capacitor to see if this even works. I was very satistified that this worked without issues. I have been looking at many of the newer ESC with more PC programming options. I have been waiting to see what the Kinetic is like. Since I have not chosen which one I like better I can race with the Havoc 3s now.