R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Down siding jumps
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
GSMnow
Tech Addict

What I started to do before I got kicked off the trackon Tues was to find my jump speed, and hold it before I got to the ramp. I had to make a very consious effort to hold the trigger at about 1/2 as it went up the hill to the triple and it flew nice, near dead level, and the nose dipped as it downsided, just a bit rear tires first. My problem with doing it this way in a race is that I was going this reletively slow speed for far too long. I hope that with practice, I will be able to come around faster, and brake it to the right speed just before the jump, and then hold the right throttle on the hill face. I am thinking the 90 right, 180 left before the triple will be a big passing zone in the races.

JSR, at OCRC, how long ago was this, is it the current layout? From the driver's stand, across the long straight to your right on the far side of the track, the right turn over a table top and down to the far right corner near the driver's stand to another right. Then jog left up the step to the middle of the stand into the right hander to the first smaller rythym section. Sweeping 180 left to the "BIG AIR" section of hills an the table top. Then just the sweeping left over another table, and the long series of rights, over the wash board back to the main straight. Does that sound about right?

That was the course I ran on a bit over a week ago. The big air section was odd. The little humps before the big table were just a pain, I found I just had to take it easy and set my speed for that big table. The "launch lip" at the jump up sure tried to throw my car in the air. Once I got the take off speed right, it was pretty good on the landng, and the next section was great, I just flew all the way after that big table. So many were trying to basiacally quad it to the second smaller table, and I easilly had the power, but it just was not consistent. It also threw you into the turn on the table too fast.

I am a big believer inthe go slow to go fast, but going too slow for too long of a run is going to get you passed. I am trying to find that balance on getting between turns and jumps faster.

My big reason for starting this thread was if I was doing something wrong on my jumps. It just feels like my speed across the ground is just so slow to not over fly these jumps. I may have to take some video of the fast guys and my car and compare them. How much if it is perception that I am going too slow? The car just seems to hang in the air, and it seems like so much time before it touches down again. I would so like to shave the top of the hill to lower the angle, so it does not go so high up, but people love the big air.