R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Down siding jumps
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
GSMnow
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JSR
It's less about the speed you hit and leave the jump with and more how much torque you're trying to put down at that time. While you're going slow into the jump, you're probably hitting the throttle on the jump which will launch you further. As others mentioned, you need to adjust the throttle when you hit the jump and as you leave the jump. Get used to how much is enough and you'll be able to down-side the landing more regularly.
This is a good point, I KNOW when I did it very slow, I held a constant trigger and the car wnet up and took a nice arc and touchs just part way down the back side with the rear wheels a little before the fronts, but I was SLOW all the way around the curve and right up to the take off ramp. When I over jumped, I didn't think I was going much faster , but now that you say it like that, did I give an extra pull, right as it was on the take off face? I will try to be extra consious of all my inputs.

Down at OCRC, the big table was super tricky for me, and I finally just gave up and was holding dead constant 3/8 to 1/2 throttle for 10 feet into the jump onto the table. This would result in a near perfect down side about 80% of the time. Any time I was next to another car though, I tended to go just a hair faster to pace them, and I would flat land 4 feet past. And I would swear I was not goosing it off the ramp. They do have a few small rollers before that big table, and my car was soft enough to just soak them up and keep the wheels pretty much on the ground. But when I tried going a bit faster there, a couple times it made me fall short because it would hop the car and drag the speed down.

I hate the sight lines there asI could not see my car for a bit going up the table, so I had no idea Ilost that much speed until it was too late and in the air. A couple times it caught the tail on the end of the table top making it land upside down and backwards with the wing digging into the dirt. I see why EVERYONE who races there brings a step stool. Not having one is a huge disadvantage. I have not done an actual race there, only 2 days of practice so far. Hot Rod is my "home track" since I live just 2 miles away.

To sum up a bit so far...
This is just driving, no setup advice

Get the speed right before the ramp. This may mean braking on the approach if coming in too hot.

Don't goose it on the way up, maybe even tap the brakes. This should help reduce the flight altitude.

Once up in the air, give a little brake to aim the nose down. The idea is to make the body act like a wing with negative angle of attack to help bring the flight down.

Use the throttle before touch down to level the car to the surface for a 4 wheel landing.

Keeping the car on the ground is usually faster as you can put down power and brake when you get to t turn. Those do next to nothing with the wheels in the air.

A slower, tighter, well controlled line is almost always fatser than going too fast and taking a wide line, especially if it means drifting the car sideways. It may look cool, but it is not fast.

Is there anything I should add to this??