R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Down siding jumps
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
GSMnow
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Casper
This is a lesson of slow is fast. HRH has been making there track for SC trucks for good reason. They are super popular out there. You need to learn to slow down for the jumps. Like others have stated down siding is much faster and I know this is what you are trying to do. Even though it feels slow driving the track as it is layed out is the almost always the fastest way around and trying muscle your way around just hurts lap times. Slow down and try and be smooth and in control. Use the power were you can and back it down for the rest of the track. It may not ultimately be as "fun" as going as fast as the car will go but if you are looking at improving your lap times, slowing down is the key. The triple double section looks like it may be hit the triple and roll through the double into the corner. Let the momentum from the triple take you over the double and then turn around and go up the hill. I will have dirven the track until this sunday but seeing the pics I can see where you are having issues. Slow and smooth will produce the best lap times on a track like this. It looks like a ton of fun!
I still have very little track time, and won't get any til nexy week. I am tempted to do the JBRL, but I don't want to be a road block. Every time I do a big event at HRH I just choke a bit. With the new track re-build they are not allowing 1/8 o run open practice til after the JBRL. I will have to get over there on Tues and just run a coule hours.

This discussion has been great, I know I want to downside as many of the jumps as possible, but that rythym on the take off is going to take alot of practice. On the previous layout, I was able to downside the infield table top almost every time (better than 80%), and just nail that 180 right after it. On the new track, the jumps are much higher and the take off steeper, and my car just wants to fly, even at a fairly low speed. Less than 1/2 trigger cleared the triple. I will try and do the brake tap on the up side. That is going to take sme concentration, as it is just not intuitive. I like the idea of hitting the brakes in the air to aim the car nose down. Thinking about it, that should act like flaps on a plane and make the air help push it down. And then use throttle to level the wheels with the ground before impact.

My shocks and front springs are quite soft. My rear shocks are also pretty soft, but a bit more spring. Weight bias is only 2% rear heavy. I have the rear hubs full forward, but it only has a 2mm adjustment range, so I doubt it will make a big difference. The chassis does not appear to be hitting on the jump on take off. But it does slap on the landings if I go flat. On the down side, when I got it on the triple (going really slow) it rolled very nice and used almost no throttle to make the double after it. Is it worth pulling throttle and then braking again for the double?? I can see going much faster on the 20 feet of track, but it opens up a lot more chances for a mistake. I watched some of the other guys run on Toes. and the very top guys were certainly powering between the triple and double. Of course, they were the "Expert" class, and I know I am not at their level.

Thanks for this discussion, I will keep reading along and take notes for when I get back on the track.