R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 PM
emerge
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default really confused

Guys, need some help. Downloaded the 230 last weed (prefer the aggressiveness compared to the 231 and also thats the latest on my download list) and running a 21.5 with an Orange super 7 max rpm rotor - I race 540 pro.

Firstly I am confused by your request to not go lower than 6.0 FDR - right now I am on a 3.88 FDR and the motor is still asking for more as the temperature doesnt even hit 50 degrees Celcius after a 7 min run (track is mid size and mid to high traction on road). To be honest if I hadn't stripped one of my motor screws yesterday I would have gone lower probably back to my original 3.2 FDR (I run a 416WE) - P.S. temperature yesterday was a little on the low side but still reasonable at about 22C when the sun was out and about 19C when it wasn't (track temp was a constant 25-28C). So I guess my first question is could there be something wrong with my sensor/motor?

Secondly I am even more preplexed with the setups - With my previous 107 software and running at 3.4 FDR (85/51) and standard rotor (with DDRS @ 7 and AMTS @ 8-max) I was averaging about 1-1.5 seconds faster than the standard requested 17.5 setup with an FDR of 3.88 (85/45) - with exactly same setup and almost identical track conditions. And to be honest I never noticed the boost at all. It was only when I took the plunge in my second race (down to utter frustration) yesterday when I maxed out everything (and re-calibrated the controller to eliminiate this possible issue) that I noticed any speed difference - however this was at best what my previous 107 average was which was nothing compared to what the tekins out the front were rolling around in (almost a second better and i wasn't even on the botton end of the field neither - though at this rate I would most certainly be there next round and kissing the championship goodbye)

What was even more interesting was that one of the guys racing with me using a Hobbywing ESC (with also the 230 software) and same FDR and motor was able to get better performance with the same input levels.

I guess what I am trying to figure out here is, is there something wrong with either my ESC or motor - and what do I have to do to get some more straight line speed out of this thing as it is now at the point of the ridiculous trying to compete by giving up such a straight line advantage (almost 30%) - especially with both the 410 and 323 software neither available nor perfected nor a probable solution with what I am reading on these forums. Although by the sounds of things the 410 is a step in the right direction if it is comparable in the straight line.

One last thing I found odd was that after every 7 minute run the battery limit never went below 3.9 (I.P. 3800 35C)

Cheers