Thread: Tamiya TB-03
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
danketchpel
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kid TT-01
Hey guys

Have a few questions regarding the TB-03R.

- What is the internal ratio of the car?
- What additional hop ups are required?
I was thinking
- spool
- alloy spur gear adapter
- alloy diff halves
- alloy blue motor mount
- alloy/bearing steering system

- How does it handle being like the TA-05 with inclined front shocks?
- Any weak points of the car?

Thanks

Alex
I just finished building my TB03R and here's what I'd do:

- spool
Got it but haven't run it yet, running the front diff for now

- alloy diff halves
Yes for sure

- alloy spur gear adapter
Yes for sure

- alloy blue motor mount
I'd skip this as it doesn't help anything and you can't see it. The stock piece is precision cast aluminum and does the job well.

What is MORE important is the little motor adapter that is part of the motor mounting system. It should be upgraded for sure as it's plastic. The part number is 54054

- alloy/bearing steering system
Yes for sure. Make sure to include the carbon steering link as the plastic link uses bushings and the fit is super sloppy.

I upgraded the front shock rocker arms to the aluminum ones with ball bearings. I'd rate that as important just to get the ball bearings in addition to the reduced flex in the arms.

I did the upgraded prop shaft but I'm not sure it's super necessary. The stock shaft is OK. The only weak part is the plastic pin/clips that holds the drive cups to the diff input shaft. The upgraded shaft kit(s), it requires two kits for the complete install, uses hard pins and an O-ring to hold them in. The upgraded shaft uses a CVD style joint at the front and dogbone at the rear. The prop shaft kits also include aluminum input shafts which does help reduce rotating mass helping acceleration. My prop shaft was bent right out of the bag so I had to straighten it, not cool. I would have exchanged it if I'd had more time.

As for the handling, I have a TA05 IFS-R and I think it's very similar, maybe a bit better. I used a similar chassis setup to my TA05 to start with and now I need to fine tune it.

I didn't see any particular weak points other than what I mentioned. I still plan to upgrade the screws as I'm not a fan of philips head screws.

Some people like the upgraded rear shock tower as it's stiffer and moves the body posts out further to make the body more stable on the chassis. Maybe something to consider for the future.

Last edited by danketchpel; 04-20-2010 at 12:33 AM.