R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Steve Slayden to Mugen?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 AM
shanty140
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ALLSPEED
O.K. look at it like this. A basher will by a truck for $500 and make a $200 profit. Then a battery pack $25 $10 profit fuel one gallon $10 profit. Total profit to get started $220

A racer will buy a chassis for $500 make $150 profit an engine for $300 and make a $50-$75 profit, two servos $80 each $20 profit each, tyers $20 a set $10 profit a set, a body $25 $15 profit, paint lets say one bottle $6 $2 profit. At this point we are at $300+ and haven't added in radio, fuel, transponder and receiver.

The average basher will stock some parts. The average racer can go to the pit box and build another car. You tell me where the profit is.
Now I am in no way saying a shop should cater to one class.
Traxxas should at least make an attempt at getting in this market. Loyalist say they don't follow. They need to do something cause they are getting left in the dust. If the D8 can win the worlds I'm sure Slayden can at least give a good showing.
LMAO $200 profit on a kit. I wish, just doesn't happen. The profit margin you think stores are getting is way off. I can't think of any kit where you are making $200 just on the vehicle. And when 90% of your sales are bashers the store is going to make more money on them. LOL And you would surprised how many bashers come in with a car they have just ran into a curb/tree/car tire/etc and need a new front end and chassis. At the store I currently work at, it makes a lot of it's money on vehicle repairs. HAHA And most racers know how to fix there on car. And at $50+ an hour plus parts you can make a lot of money. A lot of stores can get away with charging this much because it takes a lot less effort to sell a vehicle then to work a few hours on a vehicle when this is supposed to be a hobby. And to some people matinance on a car is not part of the hobby. And even at this price, there always is a line of cars ready to be worked on. And many stores in the area can go as much as $75 an hour. LOL But thats Alberta, Canada for you. The amount of money you make on a product does not relate to how much things cost. If you think stores are making anywhere close to $200 on say a $500 kit you are so off. But thats not to say the store doesn't make money off racers. I work at a hobby store, I know what a store makes on a kit and different parts. But anyways, back on topic, I don't need a person telling me something they think is right when I look at these prices on a daily basis.

Also I want to make sure this isn't coming off the wrong way on a computer. I am not trying to be an ass I am just stating what I and others that work at stores have notice while working at a hobbystore in my area. Everyone is allowed there opinion and thats all good. I am sure this isn't the same at every store in the world.

Last edited by shanty140; 04-16-2010 at 01:58 AM.