R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 01:44 PM
rod_b
Tech Master

Originally posted by jay272
Does anyone know how the R40 compares to the Serpent 710? I'm in the market for a nitro sedan, and so far I'm considering the 710, R40, LD3 (hong nor) and the 2 new kyoshos. I just don't wanna fall into the "hop-up trap" . Why spend $200 on hop-ups, when I can get the serpent 710 for $100 more? But, if the R40 will offer "serpent performance" for less $$, I'm all for it. Thanks in advance for your replies fellas!
Please don't interpret what I'm about to say as a flame or insult...

IMHO, if you have to ask, you're not ready for the 710. I know some very experienced local racers that say the 710 is an amazing car but it takes quite a bit of knowledge to fine tune it. The stock setting is a "good" starting point but it doesn't make the 710 stand out in a crowd. What makes the 710 "supposedly" better is the ability to fine tune it to your heart's content. To do so requires a vast knowledge of what different adjustments will do, why you would/should choose one adjustment over another, as well as a huge comfort zone with your own driving style. My LHS owner called it "the Veteq of sedans" because of it's frustratingly multiple setup options.

Now with that said, I personally don't have the car or have ever run one. I do know that I'm not hardcore enough to even want to tinker with setups all day long. When I get to the point to where I can run a 30+ min main without a bobble and still lose, then I'll consider the fact that I may need more car.

If you want a top of line car so your ego will not wonder if you have enough car, go for an MTX3 or V1RR Evo. If your ego makes you want to prove an HPI car belongs on the same list as the "better" cars, go for the r40.