R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

I think given the fact that you're talking about FWD cars this is spec enough. These cars are inherently limited in their performance so anything outlandish would be indeed a waste of money. That's why you don't need to spec motors. Let everybody run whatever they want and they'll see it makes no difference very soon. As you pointed out, it is very easy to over motor a FWD car so I think in a very short time, people will just stop trying and settle to whatever works best and that'll just be equivalent to speccing the class.

Personally I don't think anymore than a 21.5 is necessary in these cars, except perhaps on some of the larger, more open tracks (we had an experienced driver run a fully loaded TA03F with a 17.5 in our 21.5 class and he didn't win).

Tires and all that is just not going to make an important enough difference and problems with supply, club rules, etc will just override any spec.

About wings, I think this may be counterproductive (rather than redundant and off-putting). I have raced my YR-F2 a few times and I think with a TC style wing it would cut down a bit of lift-off oversteer in fast corners.

My opinion is only weight, ride height and FWD are necessary specs. The rest is intrinsically limited.

And yes, I agree with the point made above. Have a look in the mini thread and you'll see people spending crazy money on their cars - all race legal - but not any faster (or necessary).