R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by cyba888
Is it ok to raise the rear ride height, even tho the rear tire's profile is lower than the front?
Always try to run the same tires front and rear to maintain the equal front and rear overdrive.

Originally posted by cyba888
Even if I get new rear tires my tire tread would still be thicker than my fronts so im guessing it should be fine as long as the ride height is the same?
Using larger front tires will give you overdrive i.e. front pulling the rear. Using larger rear tires will give you underdrive i.e. rear pushing the front. This assuming the internal pulleys are the same as the ones in the kit.

What I do is I maintain a few sets of tires. I use the rear tires and when I find that it goes slightly smaller than the front (about 2 or 3 mm difference), I swap them for another that is about the same diameter as the front. Of course this is for the weekend runs. Front and rear tires will wear but at a different rate where the rear is faster wearing than the front.

As a rule of thumb, I use about 2 sets of rear tires (intermittently swapped) with 1 set of fronts.

I run my tires down to about 55 mm but like what R12 mentioned, you need to change your gearing accordingly to compensate for the reduction in tire rollout due to smaller tire diameters.