R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R/C Tech Live @ the 2004 Trinity/Car Action Snowbird Nationals
Old 02-13-2004, 06:30 AM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

I was not at Race Rock unfortunately, I was so tired by the end of the race day that I just went back to my room and crashed.

I don't have any pictures of the track falling apart, but it was difficult to see just by looking at it. You had to stand on it (or drive over it) to feel how warped it had become.

On the camera, I've been getting a crash course in using the thing from DerekB and Mike Steineke. Low light action photos with objects this small and moving this fast are close to impossible to photograph well. If you look at many of the action shots I took, I was using ISO 200 and a 1/160 sec shutter speed; for comparison, the motion-blur shots that J. Filipow took were shot using a 1/3 sec shutter (hence the cool-looking blur). The shutter speed is going to matter more than the film speed. Also, if you want to get the motion blur behind an object instead of in front of it, you'll need to use a flash that has rear-curtain sync on it, which lets the flash fire at the end of the exposure instead of at the beginning.

There are probably others who are much more qualified to talk about this stuff than I am!