R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Official ROAR Festivus Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Pablo Diablo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
It appears that the most popular suggestions in this thread seem to be:

1) Go to higher wind motors (21.5, or 25.5??). This allows people to use the batteries, chargers, ESCs, etc. that they currently have, but slows the class down. No new chassis designs needed. No voltage boosters needed. USVTA is already going down this road (with 25.5 motors starting in the fall).

2) Fixed timing ESCs. Or special, easily teched firmware with fixed timing for those ESCs that are firmware upgradable. Maybe only for Sportsman class.

3) Fixed timing motors. This would require stringent specs to make the motors from different vendors as close as possible.

4) Some combination of 1, 2, and 3.
Even though I from another country that ROAR doesn't control, here's my opinion.

1) Higher wind motors is the way to go. Below should explain why I think this.

2) How can you be sure all "spec ESC's are equal? Are we not far from having an even playing field again? Tekin, MMP, LRP, GM and AE-BD are all very close right now. SP, TW and maybe Novak will be up there with them very soon. Some of those are not very expensive and many racers already have one. Cheapest solution is to use what you already have. Surely the the most rapid phase of ESC development is nearly over? So the issues of recent times(ESC of the month having such a clear advantage) may well never happen again to the same extent.

3) Fixed timing as you said will be very hard to spec. If the motors can be torn down, they can be tweaked. How about we enforce a maximum allowed motor temp? Easy to spec and if enforced, everyones motors will last longer!

4) Maybe a combination of 1 and 3.