R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Official ROAR Festivus Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
L.Fairtrace
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
the only thing that made me hesitant on shawn's list is the single cell sedan idea. sedans are always going to weigh more and have more drag than pan cars. by making the fuel tank the same size, the sedans will either, go much slower, or last half the duration.

looking at the tracks that each are most suited for, it would make more sense to me to have more fuel available to the larger car, which is intended to run on larger circuits. we can do whatever we'd like, but i don't think that making sedan slower than pan cars will allow us to do anything remotely close to something like this in the real near future:

yes, i have a mild obsession with how tc is done overseas, but c'mon. what we do with sedans over here is bush league (no wonder it's dying). we have one or two decent asphalt races (none of which have been the roar nats) and we close up shop for the indoor scene where we explode our cars on 2x4's and kick and scream that it's too fast. tc has gone to rubber here now. yet we're going to continue to use 2x4 tracks and watch them climb walls when we're an inch off our mark? i think we're missing the boat. then again, maybe i'm the only one who even wants to set sail ....

none the less, my proposed solution might be to leave the rip at 7.4 or maybe go to li-fe for tc. we're finally at a time where mod has more power and runtime than you can even put down on the track... and we want to bring it back to making a class where we're cycling batteries for run time, and swapping rotors and timing and all that jazz to squeeze out a 6 minute run w/o dumping or melting?? i dunno. that sounds a lot like spec racing to me, save for the throttle jockeying.

i can be convinced otherwise, but if the argument is that 13.5 is already too fast for our 90x40 tracks, i'm not going to be swayed. are the guys running the ets races having problems blowing out tires and whatnot with 7.4v? i could believe it, but over here it seems like a pretty rosey picture.

someone told me the tc worlds are coming here in 2012. if this is true, are we planning on stretching out the 2x4's again? maybe get a whopping 100ft straight for these guys. that'll be a proud moment.

I like what you are saying can I subscribe to your blahg?

Seriously though when is someone going to step up and have a real Euro style carpet race here in the us. A track that is 160x90 where mod laptimes are in the 18 second range like the ETS races?

One thing I love about Roar is the fact they run Triple A mains, ALL BIG RACES SHOULD FOLLOW THIS FORMAT. Its lovely we race all week have 4 tries at qualifying and get peeled on the first lap from behind int he main an the last 4 days mean nothing.

ALL big races should be qual points also. I know this may hurt a guy like me but I think it would help us all be better racers. Roar should change all onroad races back to this format including the carpet nats.