R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Official ROAR Festivus Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Could I ask for Cliff Notes, then?

Rick, all I can do is try. I am willing, but, I'm from the other side of the fence (fuel) - you have a TON of knowledge and racing respect. I can only offer my willingness to serve. I do like RC racing it is a true passion.
ROAR is only a small part of the problem. The racers are a big part of the problem. And it is not just in on-road, off road is starting to face the same problems.

Our local off-road guy has a local series race this weekened which is expecting to be full at 200 or so entries. Great right? Not really, because there are 13 classes. You might get a C main in one of them if you are lucky.

Sean C said it best just this morning. "Nobody wants to run in a class that nobody races in. And nobody wants to race in a class with too much competition".

And then you have a new class of race truck comgin along and the manufacturers and racers want a new motor rules set created specifically for this class. ROAR makes rules and they BITCH about them rather than embracing the chance for a legitimate racing class.

The nitro racing is just as bad. Sure off-road bodies are sort of made up as yuo go along like the real ones. But the new biggy and truggy bodies are hideous. The bodies are made strictly for funtion and don' closely resember real cars (they have to "grow on you" the racers say), the tracks are so complicated that only the best drivers can get around them without crashing, and the racers are being split into so many classes so everyone can be a winner. (the latest big nitro race has three buggy classes and three truggy classes. This all sounds very familiar.

Does anyone really thing that people will be satisfied with a no-timing ESC setting? I can already see it...ROAR implements this rule, but the local club tracks don't care and are too lazy to tech it or don't want to upset their customers ("we dont race ROAR rules!") and the racers want to run as fast as possible. Then the ROAR Nats roll arond and everyone bitches because they have to run a slow profile and they would rather run the local club race where they can do what they want.