R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2010 ROAR Electric OnRoad Carpet Nationals @ The Track - Gaithersburg, MD
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Mike Blackstock
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Big Dog,

WEll put. This is what i was trying to get at. I guess it is wiser as the years go by. But when i started there were no chat rooms to bash the events. Everything was word of mouth .

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
I've been deeply involved in this hobby for quite a while now. I've attended many big races, regional races and club races. I've travelled more weekends than I can count for all types and levels of races. I've been through the ringer when it comes to local racing and worked my butt off for years to build up the local races and help anyone and everyone I can that have a commitment to the tough learning curve that is r/c racing.

I'm certainly no Blackstock or Lemieux or Cuffs or Burch when it comes to driving, but it's with the above credentials that I would like to share the most important piece of knowledge I learned over the years...

Negative input will never benefit the hobby and racing in general. Yes it may bring issues that need sorting out to light, but there are much better ways to communicate a point. (this is not directed to any one certain person or persons)

Here's a very simple example that may help understand my point:
Jason- "Jeff, the way you start the races at Horsham sux and it f's everybody up trying to make a clean run!!!" (I have no clue how Jeff starts the races in reality, it's just a fictional example)
Jeff- "Well Jason, if you don't like it, why don't you and your ahole buddies from Memphis go home!!"
Jason- "I guess we will. And we won't be back"
**in the meantime other locals who agree decide they aren't coming back either
*Did my negative input bring to light an issue that needs correcting? Yes. Was it beneficial to ROAR, Horsham, Jeff or even the newbie sitting at his pit thinking he didn't sign up for crap like this? NO. In no way was it beneficial to anyone.

Here's a better way to handle the situation:
Jason- (quietly and in a friendly manner) "Hey Jeff, some of the guys and myself were wondering if you would mind spacing us out a little more at the start of the heats because there seems to be a broad range of skill level in our heat and it would help us keep from getting tangled up on the first laps?"
Jeff- "I hadn't really thought about that Jason, hold on a sec... (over the loudspeaker) RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE SPACED OUT A LITTLE MORE ON THE STARTS... wow, I guess you were right Jason, thanks for bringing that to my attention"
Jason- "Glad to be of help Jeff. We really enjoy racing with you guys"
**in the meantime the guys who raised their hands are thinking "I sure am glad that dude from Memphis knows Jeff well enough to say something to him, I was really getting irritated"
*the newbie is sitting at his pit thinking "yep, these are the kind of guys I enjoy racing with"

My point- not only did I bring the issue to the race director's attention, I did it in a way that was helpful to him, to the track, the other racers, and the racing in general.

Sometimes, it's not that simple, but with some forethought and a desire to be a problem solver and not a problem maker, it can be done. And if anyone has room to talk, it's me. Everyone that knows me will tell you I used to be the first one to jump up in someone's face and bitch. But I've realized there's a better way, and it may take more planning and thinking, but if I apply myself I can make a difference.