R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated RC12R5
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 PM
mangoman
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverfrancis
I have also got another question. I was wondering what tyres i should get if i am running on an outdoor ash felt track. Also i was wondering what pinions and gearing i should use with a venom 17.5 turn motor. Also it would be a big help to mention the variety of pinions and spurs i should buy as i don't go to the local hobby shop very often at all.

Does the kit come with imperial allan keys as all my hex drivers and allen keys are in metric measurements? Also can the screws for the rear wheels be replaced with ones that use metric hex driver.
Which track are you running in Sydney. I dont think there are many stores stocking 12th scale tyres. Windsor is your best bet they have speedminds in stock.

32 Front and 32 Rear should be fine (i use 30 Rears but they dont make them anymore). Also we use banana boat sunscreen as a traction compound (most use the black bottle), on top of that others may then put other traction additives but i dont like using those harsh liquids.

Jacos tyres are common as well pink rear purple front are a good starting point. Double pinks give more front grip but wear faster. Some people also like magentas up front.

Gearing will be massive for 17.5, i already use a 69T spur for 10.5 and thats with a tekin which advances the timing (hence i use a lower rollout than normal). You'll probably have to find the smallest kimborough spur gear available (12th scale compatible spur gear, dont get those RW supalite spurs that are good for the tourer) that will go in the car.
Im pretty sure you will need a smaller spur gear than 69T though as with the 69T you struggle to get a 30T pinion on the car and im pretty sure you will need a bigger rollout than that for 17.5.
A 10.5 may actually be easier to drive anyway.

I personally wouldnt put metric screws in for the tyres i suspect the thread is different, but really dont know.