R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RS ESC sensored
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
niznai
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
I haven't used data logging, or a dyno. My car is super fast. Just try diffrent timing profiles, gearings, etc. Use the track as your dyno(works great at my test track since the AMB setup is usually set up to call out lap times for practice) . I am sure I could fine tune a bit with data logging but its by no means required. One of the reasons I don't believe in RC dyno's anymore is one of my team mates has the EXACT same motor, battery speedo setup. And my motor has better performance with a taller gearing. and his is better with a shorter gear. Magnet strength? actual motor timing? who knows, but just tune it with what you have. Buy pinions... lol Cause all the extra numbers will likely do is confuse people or maybe have you heading in the wrong direction based on dyno data.

Don't understand your explanation as to why you don't "believe" in dyno data anymore.

If you and your friend would have dyno sheets, he would not be slower.

That is exactly why I argue dyno sheets would help. This would put everyone on the right track straight away instead of hunting around. You have a little bit of luck that you have time to practice and a friend running the same BL system so you can compare.

In that respect your advice to use the track as a dyno is null for me. I am not allowed this time, nor do I have anyone in my class running the Tekin system.

Time constraints in our contract with the venue hosting our track means we can only have about 5 min of practice if we're lucky (if we all show up in time and set up the track quickly). Sometimes we have to go without. This very limited time doesn't allow for setting up allycat in practice mode either, so we just drive around, temp every now and then and compare speed with other cars running totally different ESC/motors. Sometimes I don't even have a car in the same class as mine around to compare against. Also, given the very limited time for practice we practice all classes at the same time, so it's quite hard to lay down some consistent laps without having to get out of the way of faster cars.

I suspect this is the situation for most people, otherwise we wouldn't see so many calls for help in this thread.