R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by woodys3b
After reading the last 100 pages of this thread, I started to build my M05. The upgrades I am using are:

2. Diff and CVDs. I'm happy with how the gear diff feels after assembling it with one extra shim and anti-wear grease and will probably not upgrade to the ball diff. However, I would like to use blades on the inside end of the cvd shafts. Are there any diff cups that fit into the M05 gear diff that have wider slots in them to accept the blades? Will this be the only reason I should upgrade to the Tamiya ball diff? Also, with the CVDs installed and the O rings in the diff cups, It seems that the O rings are too thick. They are pushing the CVD shafts out into the front steering knuckles too much. I even used the clear O rings as mentioned a few times in this thread. I'm tempted to Just remove them all together. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Andy
If you don't have access to a mill you can use a Dremel and cut off wheels to open up the slots in the outdrives to accomodate the blades. We've been doing that here for awhile now. You don't even have to use the Tamiya blades. I'm using some X-ray ones that were in the spare parts box. Not a perfect fit, but it works just fine.

Not a big fan of the M05 ball diff as the out drives appear to be too soft and wear quickly. I'm probably going back to the TA03 diff and modify the outdrives to accept blades.