R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - foam tire prices, is this rape?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 08:57 AM
fatdoggy
Tech Elite

One big part of charging retail is becuase in the summer season almost nobody runs indoor carpet. Basically they gets nitro guys and some 1/12th scales but 1/10 ele is almost dead there. I buy the consumables there year round(brushes $3 a pair, bodies $24, small parts) but I only buy tires there if I have to. Personally I still think over $50(including tax) for a set of tires is b/s. A set of tires for me lasts a good 1.5 to 2 months on carpet anyway(I don't true them down). In the summer months I order nitro foams from hk, they last ages and provide great grip. I can order one set with ems for $46, if I buy more sets is just cream on top. I've been trying to get them to work on carpet for a few weeks.

As for mounting your own tires, cypress is right, if you do what it says on the can it is a real pain in the arse and your tires come out looking like crap. I'm sure if you apply'd liquid mask to the rim face they would come out looking nicer though. Also I've only mounted one set before but I'm sure if you just scuff the rims, clean them, put the glue on and wack the tires straight on it would work ok, as long as you re-glue the seams down after they have dried. Having to dip the glued rims in laquer thinner kills the finish on the rims and creates a gooy mess.