R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Correct lipo care
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Razathorn
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only point to storage charge your lipos is so they don't go below 3 volts a cell and puff. Other than that, there is no reason to do it. On the other end of the spectrum, don't leave them fully charged either! The more you leave your packs sitting with more charge in them the faster they degrade and increase their self discharge rate, which means they will self discharge and puff.

What I do is this: Ignore week to week. After running, they're not fully charged, and they're not near 3 volts. If I have a pack charged, I'll throw it on storage in the garage in the lipo sack and let it drain that night. If I hit cut-off, I bump the pack with full charge current for 10 minutes -- that's more than enough to keep it through the week.

Lots of opinions are out there on storing lipos in the freezer -- I have left my 'ran packs' in freezing temps for a few days with no ill side effects and at least one lipo manufacturer says to store them long term this way if possible. Honestly, I have no fear of letting mine get that cold at all.

My lipo MO is simply to not leave them fully charged or dead week to week. When I miss weeks, I might check the voltage, but they never go anywhere in that period of time.