R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New purchase need advice coming back after 8 years.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Ananda Robinson
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
I was in your same situation about 7 months. I hadnt been racing in just about 8 years (started when I was 11 or 12 and am now 35) and moved back to an area that had tracks. I didnt have any brand loyalty but I couldnt find any reason not to buy the 8 2.0 RTR. You get a good radio, a starter box, the car is plenty capable of winning races, and an engine that will do just fine.

The weekend I bought the car I picked up a pair of Hitec 7950s. I wasnt a fan of Hitec servos because of past experience but these things have been absolutely amazing. Within a week I picked up the aluminum horn for the steering and a week after that put one on the throttle. I also picked up the turbo head conversion (running D97T plugs), RE11 pipe, and the added the composite shoes to the clutch (2 aluminum 2 composite) for the 4 shoe setup. The engine will be more than enough, I promise. The turbo button and pipe completely transform that power plant. Along the way I started upgrading parts (not a single replacement do to failure!) starting with the quick change engine mount, aluminum shock caps, and race roller shock towers (had a slight bend in the rear tower).

I raced like that until 2 weeks ago when I picked up a new power plant. For the investment made, I dont think I could have come close buying the parts individually. In fact, I just bought an RTR truggy on Friday and will do the same with it (already traded the radio for another Hitec servo).
You guys are the best (taking lots of notes).