R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lupin_au
Project D,

I have on the way a M05 kit, with the ball diff and bearings. However it looks like it will arrive after this weeks racing, so I wont be able to tell you what my thoughts are as a total noob.

My theory was that the M03 is at the end of its life cycle and the M05 is just starting. And I like a challenge. We have a mixture of the M03 and 05 at our club and to be honest I can't see the difference as a spectator.

I'll be documenting the build and how things go from my point of view once I get started so you might like to look at my views and compare them to that of a seasoned M03 driver.

But at the end of the day I don't think the M05 will suddenly make you a brilliant driver if you lack skill (But I'm hoping im wrong )
To avoid a lot of frustration, start with the aluminum steering and the aluminum front steering uprights. While the kit parts don't break, they do bend very easily. It will drive you crazy and if you are a newbie you won't figure out why your car doesn't work right.

The 3Racing steering bits work okay and are much less than the Tamiya parts. I've never used the 3 racing Steering uprights so can't tell you if those are any good or not.