R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ESC Controversy Views and Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Danny-b23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
As a nitro racer, I know that all nitro engines are not created equal. Some people have bigger budgets and can afford the more expensive engines such as Novarossi and Max Power - or some of the highly accalimed modified engines. Some people just don't want to spend that much money on an engine, even if they do have a bigger budget. We don't go complaining to racing officials that the other guy has a more expensive or faster motor if we know that he is running his car within the rules. That's just the way it is.

When I read about people getting upset about other racers' ESC being faster or having special features to make their cars go faster - and this "banning ESCs/features" thing, I don't quite understand what the big deal is. If "fairness" were at the very heart of the issue, then shouldn't everyone be racing the same car with the same gear? (i.e. identifical) But we all know that's just ridiculous. If it's all about the money, then would creating economy/budget classes make sense for those that can't keep up with the newest technology? I get the impression that people won't go for something like this!

As with cars, there comes a point when the older technology has to make way for the new and some of these older ESCs are going to have to move from the racing category to the bashing category. Is that such a bad thing? Is it someone's fault that they can afford newer technology while others cannot? I don't think so.

I can accept the fact that if I don't have the latest and greatest technology, that I'm going to be slower, so why can't everyone else?

When I see people using the word "cheating" - when they know very well that someone is racing within the stated rules, it just makes me cringe.
Yeah, I agree, it sucks.

Seems like RC in general is just one more form of motorsport where he with the largest budget wins. Electric TC seems to have fixed the tire issue in it all, but regardless, it seems like more and more of a power game where ever you look at the results.