R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
straycat40
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spironi
I love the current limiter in the RX8. This is one of the reason I decided to go with the Tekin ESC. You can use it to keep your current levels in check with your batteries capabilities, making the batteries nice and happy. You can also use it to tone down the explosive punch of most of these brushless systems. It sounds like this is exactly what you would like to do.

If all you want to do is soften up the punch for a smaller track (or looser conditions) I would suggest leaving the radio endpoint at 100% and using the current limiter. This way the top end speed is still available if you need it, but you will have much finer control and less wheel spin in the technical sections.

If your radio has the capability, I would also recommend dialing in some exponential on the throttle. This way the beginning portion of the trigger pull will have finer control and allow you to dial out just the amount of power you need, while the top end will have coarser adjustment where the exact level doesn't matter as much but you still get full throttle. This will tame the bottom end quite a bit and offer you great control, depending on how strong you set the expo. Just keep in mind that many radios have the ability to set the expo either way, positive or negative. If it is not clear which way is which, set expo to a high level (100% or maximum is fine) pick the car up and slowly pull the trigger a little. The throttle response should make it immediately evident if this is the right direction or not. Once you know which way is the right way, choose a more appropriate setting to start and adjust per your driving preference from there. I found my RX8 w/ 1400T8 on 5S to have much too much bottom punch for me to control well, until I dialed up the expo to 50%. It almost looks like I know what I am doing now

For what it is worth,
Spiro
Good answer, thanks.

I have an M11 so I have plenty of control with the radio. I'll try the throttle expo setting and see how that works. I'll dial back the current limiter and give it a try.