R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 04:07 PM
nashrcracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
was the original idea of damper tubes to be used on carpet (IRS "rug rat" conv., and the CRC "carpet knife").

is the friction plate setup better for ashphalt?

is there some sort of setup guide to 1/12? like the effects of changing spring and shock oil and adjusting the friction plate?
Originally posted by DPowell
The best set up guide comes from experience. Try different things and record your results. Racing is a great teacher.

D.P.
the damper tubes keep you from being double dampened. You have a shock that dampers front to back and then damper pads that dampen front to back and side to side. with the damper tubes you get your side to side controlled by what lube you put in them and then you get your front to back controlled by the shock. now note this is on a link car like a CRC carpet knife or Speedmerchant Rev3. A tplate car adds more damping to the equation with different thickness tplates. but the less you have controlling the same motion the better ability you have to change one thing and have it NOT effect a different handleing charcteristic. it's like if you change shock oil and springs at the same time. how do you know what result to the car helped or hindered the handleing.

and as for a book I don't know of one for 12th scale but I'll look around. and as for experience and racing being a great teacher. if you only have the funds to barely race I would find it hard to go out and kill a couple sets of tires and everything else you wear out testing. so I ask people that know people that are kind enough to help out a fellow driver learn from what they know. taking into consideration that different tracks and different drivers have setups for a different feel. but telling someone a base line and then saying that if you go to harder front springs you get less steering can't do nothing but HELP our sport.