R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XT8 or O'Donnell Z01-T
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Stubbs
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GulfstreamIVCap
Thanks guys... I'm really at a loss as to which one to buy, especially when they are within $60 of each other price wise...

I did send a note to O'Donnell to inquire about when the new truggy would be available. Understandably, all they could share with me was that a new model was being tested... I did read that Xray will not be doing a X8T 2010 model, but who knows...

I have pretty much settled on the Nova P5, as it seems everyone says to buy that engine...

I guess it comes down to this:

(1) Which one will I have the most fun with?
(2) Which one will endure the abuse myself and my older son will give it?
(3) Which one will ultimately be better suited for racing if/when that time comes?

I’m not sure if I can wait for the new O’Donnell model to become available. My kids and I are really looking forward to building something soon… What are the chances O’Donnell will do an upgrade kit to the current Z01-T?
Gulfstream, I'm the local that MotoGod is referring to. I put a post up in your other thread as well....

For all three of your questions above, put the name of all the major brands up on the wall and throw a dart at it, then choose the one you hit. Like I said in the other thread, all of the major brands will suit your needs just fine. Each will have it's own pros and cons, but they're all well suited for what you will be doing with the vehicle, and are all very capable race rigs.

Regarding the new truggy from OD, I was speaking to Steve O'Donnell about it a couple of weeks ago. He said that it would indeed be available to current owners as an upgrade kit that could be applied to the existing Z01T. The difference between the two configurations will be that new design is being designed to make the truck much more of an aggressive rig on the track (i.e. get rid of that clumsiness that was mentioned in another post). You'll be just fine with the current design, and there may be an offer, like what was done on the buggy, where the upgrade "team kit" was given to recent purchasers at a deep discount (may have even been free...I don't know). If you look at the current Z01B kit, you get both the standard configuration, and the team upgrade kit in the same box, so you can have the car grow with the driver's abilities.

Honestly, I've let several folks at my track take mine for a spin. They've all said it was a great performer, and just needed to have the set up dialed in for our particular track. The one thing that I've seen time and time again about the XRay is that it's probably the best driving truggy out there....once you get it set up properly. That's where it gets sketchy. The XRay has so many tuning options, it can sometimes be a bit overwhelming for the "less than expert" racers. That was one of the things that steered me towards the OD over the Xray.

If you'd to talk on the phone about this in more detail, PM me your info, and I'll give you a call. I was fortunate to have someone do this same thing for me when I was trying to decide which truggy to buy. He had a great deal of info on all of the major brands. I'll be glad to pass on the knowledge to you.

Thanks,

Mike