R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Narrowed it Down to O'Donnell, but still stuck...
Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 AM
Stubbs
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I was in the same boat when I decided to get into the Truggy class this year. Most of the folks at my track run Losi, Mugen, or AE. I actually wanted to bring something new to the game, so I chose the Z01T.

I can't speak for durability of the truck compared to the other brands, but I'm fresh out of "truggy driver's ed", and my driving style at the moment resembles Helen Keller going around the track...I think I've hit everything on our track that you can possibly drive into!

I haven't broken a single part yet. The only thing that I'm watching for wear, or bending, is the center dogbones, and the smaller hinge pins.

I will say this though, O'Donnell has OUTSTANDING customer support. I asked a few questions in the Z01T thread, and Steve O'Donnell himself e-mailed me to talk about it. That's not something that I expected. We've talked several times since then about truck set up, and various other subjects.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands, but I would offer this as advice. There are two things that you need to consider as your top decision makers.
1. What is the part's support by your local hobby shop (LHS). If you don't have a LHS that you buy from, or don't mind ordering parts online, then it's a moot point.
2. Try to visit a local off road track, talk to the drivers, and see if you can take a few laps with the various other brands. Most racers will be open to this, as long as you don't go crazy and make a kamikaze run.

Hope this helps. I feel for you....I was making myself crazy trying to decide which truggy to buy before finally choosing a path. Several folks have asked me if I would do it differently, and get one of the more popular brands at my track. Honestly, with the experience I've had with the truck so far, and the support that I've received from the O'Donnell team, and Steve O. himself, I'd make the same choice again.