R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 AM
AdrianM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
good advice, that gives me a lot to work with this weekend. i will start with long thin fiberglass flex plates, light rear damping, gold rear spring and .022 front BMI springs, and small 2xpink tires,

i am curious if/when the stiffer settings (front and rear combined) are ever reccomended? it sounds like never? instead only use a stiffness increase at the front or rear for balance, leaving the overall suspension as compliant as possible.
Going stiffer in the rear is done to make the car more aggressive. For example my car would be soft in the rear on high grip carpet to slow down weight transfer and mellow out the steering. On asphalt I would go to stiffer flex plates to really pin down the front tires on corner entry and gain turn in on a lower grip surface. The stiffer flex plates/side springs/t-bars on high grip surface would make the car darty and hard to drive.

You would be surprised to know that many of the top drivers like their cars to handle like caddy's not sports cars. A super aggressive car may get you one super fast lap but a mellow car that is easy to drive can let you string together 8 min of consistent, quick laps and that's how you win racers.