R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TIRED Of My RTR
Thread: TIRED Of My RTR
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Kyo83
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macrous99
Aight im goddamn tired of my nitro RS4 3, Ive had it for about 5 years, dang thats old, and its been giving me trouble ever since, stripped gears, broken rotostarts, broken pull starts, stripped bulkheads, broken battery holders,broken tuned pipe,leaking gas tank, etc etc.Sadly ive put up with it with and now giving it up. I hate it because you dont really have engine choices, you got to have threaded shaft, and IMO its overpriced. Im going for a new car but I dont want to go get the same ole car but I want a step up In quality.I am very CONFUSEDon what to get next, people say dont get a kit if you are not going to race..I want to experience what its like to build a kit. Im a basher, I go out on the streets , I go to a nearby parking lot and setup a lil track.There really isnt a club around here. My biggest concern is will rocks chew up belts, I occasionally will get rocks in my RS4 and have them stripped.I want a reliable car that will stay reliable four to six years.There is no budget, and yeah ill search parts online. I dont want to constantly buy parts like the RS4

so are these pro touring cars any more vulnerable to pebbles than shaft driven cars? back up your claims if you used both types. will this vary with the type of brand and quality?
Whats the reason for belt driven cars then?
RTR cars I am considering
1.Kyosho FW 05RR
2.Kyosho FW 06
2.Team Magic G4S RTR
AE TC3
Kyosho Fazer

KITS
Team Magic G4 JS
Xray NT1EC
Xray NT1R

Hopefully some guys will clear things up

You are confused...if your RS4 has belts..its not a RS4 3 but and RS4 2 and that car is much older than 5 years old!?! If that is the case, then it is definitely time for you to upgrade.

Since bashing is going to be your main thing, I'd recommend the Kyosho FW06 if you can get one. they are are out of productions but Kyosho still supports them in terms of parts. The cars shares some parts found on their belt driven V-one-RRR series. Its also has more adjustability than the RTR Fazor. And the best thing about it is its Shaft-driven.

Many like the NTC3 becasue of its ability to seat a big block nitro engine (with a liitle modification) The RTR version does not give you that many settign adjustments but you can upgrade parts for more adjustments. If you get the Team Kit you get many more adjustments than the RTR, but I think its kind of pricey just for bashing in the parking lots.

As far as belt drive vs shaft drive, the belt driven cars tend to have a free-er transmission that utilies more of the motors horsepower. the downside is, it requires more regular maintanence and a more cleaner track/surface to run on, so as not tget pebbles in the drive-train. I've had the fortune of having a belt-driven car that I raced in the parking lots course without ever stripping gears due to rocks. Most of the lots had freshly laid pavement or were cleaned before setting up the track.

So in closing I'l just say get get a shaft driven car...it seems like that will suit your needs better that a kit and save you money too.