R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Clutch setup - What am I doing wrong?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 PM
asw7576
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 92GTA
I gave an OS engine I'm putting in my RRR and I have done the following:

#1 - Install the shim and flywheel collet onto the crankshaft. Depending on your engine and collet you may have to use a shim so the flywheel doesn't drag on the engine case. Install the flywheel and flywheel nut onto the crankshaft and tighten. Make sure it is very tight otherwise it can come loose and damaging the other clutch components as well as decrease the life of your engine.
#2 - Install the centrifugal shoes (clutch weights) into the flywheel. Make sure they are clean of any flashing or sharp edges, as this will ensure smooth and consistent clutch operation. Install the clutch shoe ring, lining up the holes with the flywheel pins.
#3 - Install the clutch shoe into the clutch shoe ring, lining up the holes with the flywheel pins. The clutch shoe and shoe ring should move freely up and down on the flywheel pins. If they don't, use the proper size drill or very carefully use a hobby knife to remove a small amount of material from the shoe. Usually, some material needs to be removed from the flywheel pinholes in the clutch shoe – it doesn't take much so be careful not to remove too much material!!
#4 - Install the spring cup into the clutch shoe making sure it is seated all the way. Install the clutch spring and the clutch spring adjuster. Tighten it down so that about .5mm of thread is showing. This will be our assembly setting, as we will do the final adjustment later.
#5 - Install the pinion gears onto the clutch bell and tighten them. Do not over tighten them or it will be extremely difficult to get them off later.
The basics of your clutch are assembled now and this is where the set-up comes into play. How you build and set your clutch will be a key to improving your lap times.
#6 - First, we will set the “gap”. The “gap” is the distance between the clutch shoe and the clutch bell when it is at its farthest position from the shoe as possible. Install the clutch bell onto the crankshaft without the inner bearing – this will allow the clutch bell to make contact with the shoe without the bearing stopping it. Now, install the outer bearing, thrust assembly (including thrust retainer) and the 3mm screw. Tighten the screw down and check the clutch bell. There should be plenty of endplay that will give us the room to shim the “gap” properly.

Now my problem: I have no gap! The clutch bell is tight down onto the clutch shoe!

Does this mean I have the wrong collet maybe? Should I have not used a shim between the collet and the flywheel? I'm using the longer 3x15mm screw even. I can't possibly imagine the gap between the flywheel and the crankcase being any less lol!

Any ideas?!

Thanks!
Perhaps this is new flywheel, and the flywheel is not deeply seated ( or inserted ) into crankshaft. That's why you encounter no clutch gap at the tip of crankshaft.

Try drop some oil in flywheel's inner hole, collet, and locknut before tightening the locknut. The oil helps to lubricate the flywheel when it is being inserted into crankshaft.

2nd solution, you add small 1mm thick shims at the very tip of crankshaft ( you make the tip longer ).

3rd solution, use shorter colllet, I think this is your problem. What engine do you use ?