R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Solution for the stock class problems
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
JFuel11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default My thoughts...

I have been racing for almost 20 years now and I started back when it was all about springs, brushes and the best batteries money could buy... I won many races because I had help from the best at the time as well as really paid attention to detals...

Now racing today I can purchase the same equipment as the team guys and know that the only difference really is my ability at setup and driving!

New people are going to buy the equipment and class and speed that apeals to them. It is like buying a new car, they are going to purchase what makes them feel good.

This is not an equpment issue or fixing a class, in all honesty it is about the attitude many of us carry at the track. Ask yourself have you really taken the time to help the new poeple run fast or even faster then yourself. This is what make people want to race is when they go to a track and enjoy the entire experiece including having the fast guys spend quality time helping them with their setup, explain the details to them and talk with them about driving better... This is the elements that are missing at many tracks these days... Many of us have our head so for up our own rear ends that we pay no attention to the new guys stuggling to figure it out. They just spent 600+ bucks to go racing and are lost in the sea of adjustments and rpm ranges...

I am not saying there are not guys out there helping, but I will say there is not near enough...

Example:

I good friend of mine was racing oval and was having a hard time keeping up and felt that he needed to purchase a new car/motor & speedo to be competitive. After spending an hour with one of the local fast guys... who actually took his car home with him and went through the car and rebuilt it like it should be set up. My friend went from struggling to now running second or third every weekend and now he can focus on driving. He is turning 3-4 laps more than he ever had and it all boiled down to equipment setup, tuning and gearing. His car caries corner speed now like never before and he now understands what to change when needed.

Bottom line... Fast guys, get off our rear end, stop dominating 3 classes and sponsor a local new guy... That will get more people enjoying our hobby!!! It all starts at the local level!!! You can make a difference, rather than spend 3 hours a night talking about how great this is or how much that sucks on this website, take a guys car home and make it right! He will never forget it and it will help everyone!

90% of the time I can win a class with almost any car in the field if I have the time to set it up correclty and dial it in (local club level) why not help others do the same! Don't wait for them to ask most of the time they will not, go up and offer help!

Stepping off soap box now, thanks for your time!

Let the bashing begin, but that is my -98 cents worth!