R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - I want to convert my 8ight but I'm concerned about run time.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
ta_man
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb
Why does castle advertise this way then?

Neu-Castle 2650 KV – Intended for 4S (16.8 Volt) operation. Ideal for 1/8th buggy conversions. The 2650 is 68mm long.

Neu-Castle 2200 KV – Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation. Incredible in monster trucks with up to 6S lipo packs (4s lipo is the sweet spot), and works great in 1/8 Truggies as well. The 2200 is 75mm long making it capable of handling more power than the 2650. This one is the bad boy!

Why would you overpower a buggy and underpower a truggy/monster truck?
Sounds like you may be mistaking Kv for power. Just because one motor has a higher Kv than another doesn't make it more powerful. You wouldn't think of using a castle CM20 8000 Kv motor in an electric 1/8th scale (or even a 1/10th scale) just because it has a higher Kv.

The 2200KV motor has the capability for higher power output because it is longer and thus will produce more torque for a given current flow. Since the power output of these motors is limited by the amount of waste heat they can dissipate, and a bigger motor has more surface area to dissipate heat, the longer motor has a greater possible power output.