R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Speed Passion Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
tfrahm
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Sensor Cable "Compatibility"...????

I searched the thread, and never found what I was looking for, so here goes...

When I first got an SP ESC (GT2.0 LPF), and Ultrasportsman 13.5, I also ordered an SP sensor cable -- everything worked great...

When I bought the second GT2.0 LPF, I used it with a Novak motor -- everything worked great...

However, when I did some motor swapping and changed from the Ultrasportsman 13.5 to a v3 13.5, I needed another sensor cable, and all the hobby shop had were LRP cables. I figured "No Problem" -- they are "compatible", right?

The original LPF worked fine at first, then during the second heat race, the car started to run rough and lost speed..???? After the race, I found that the sensor cable had worked loose at the ESC... Plugged it back in - made SURE it was fully seated, ran fine in the third heat... Then in the main, same thing -- cogging at low speed, lost top end -- sensor cable loose again...

At home, I realized that the LRP cable plug seems to be a hair smaller, and doesn't "lock into the ESC"... ????? (even fully seated, it pulls out easily with just a small tug on the cable..)

OH -- PS: at the track I tried to change to a Novak cable, but no-go -- it would NOT fully seat in the ESC.. As noted earlier, I've run Novak motors/cables with the other LPF, so I know it SHOULD work, but...?

I now suspect that "compatible" really isn't, and that the quality control on these little cables isn't what I thought it was...?

Any advice on sensor cables? Are the SpeedPassion cables that much better? (I NEVER had a problem with this ESC using the SP cable with the previous motor...)

Thanks in advance for any help...