R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray NT1
Thread: Xray NT1
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 03:59 PM
DS Motorsport
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by qcrc
That the same trick that I used to do on my old G4. It really made a difference the turn radius. We also did it on the front arms also. Remember though that if you do to the lower arms you also need to do it to the upper arms or your castor capabilities will be reduced.
I have it also on the front, cut 2mm of the rear of the front lower arms.
Didn't cut the upper arms because normally I run 2mm of caster shims behind the upper arm.

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Hmmm... This sure is an interesting approach to solving your underweight problem. How does the extra weight change the weight distribution of the car?

Have you considered fabricating a more elaborate battery tray that fills in the slot in the chassis and then overlaps the chassis a bit on the side and the back? You seem to be losing a bit of what you've gained by adding all that weight on top - but I could be wrong.
Well it's funny you mention this, my first idea was this:

But the lowest quote to get it fabricated was $120
So when I found the Tungsten for $40 and it is reusable if I switch to a different chassis it was a pretty straight forward decision.
But I think it actually lowers the CG compared to a brass tray or the brass hudy weight. The upper 5 blocks I might put them between the tank and radioplate supports instead of on top of the other blocks.
Another option is to machine down the brass battery tray so the Tungsten plates will be lower.
The problem is, that it is pretty much impossible to drill or cut the Tungsten.
Even with Diamond coated drills or cutting disks.