R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc
Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Track Report, Air Temp 60F

Finally the sun showed up. I managed to put a few packs on the Losi XXX-S. First a motor test. I started off with an LRP X12 3.0. I ran 6 minutes plus 3 laps on the pack. The motor temp was 190F. The speed control did not thermal but was blinking all the lights when I got back to the bench. On the track top speed was good but not better than the 3.5. Punch out of the corner was less than the 3.5. Mid short straights showed good acceleration but not better than the 3.5. I thought there might be some advantage with the tires by not hitting them so hard out of the corners but cornering did not seem to be improved. That was a quick expensive test. The second run was with an LRP X12 3.5. I finished 6 minutes plus 3 laps with it until the battery got soft. Temp was 170 F. On track performance was just better on our layout with the 3.5

I tested slightly harder sway bars than previous. I lost a little overall traction which I missed. I was able to do the tricky left side of the layout tighter and it seemed quicker than before. Tomorrow, I will remove the medium swaybar rear, readjust the shocks to balance oversteer understeer and try to get by with medium light front and rear sway bars. Slightly less roll stiffness than today but a little more roll stiffness than in the last race. Fine tuning so to speak.

Sweep Racing Premounts

My Sweep racing premount tires came in. Thanks John. They come on yellow wheels of medium stiffness. I like the stiffness of the wheel. I inspected the glue bead carefully looking for the best premount 30's to put in the photo. It was apparent they were glued by hand. I saw evidence of a couple of stalls where the glue builds up more than normal. Practice eliminates this. This does not affect performance and cannot be seen without very close examination.

The wheels mounted easily but snugly on the Losi axles and hexes showing a good fit. The 36R tires that I will test tomorrow came unglued as they are prototype units. I scuffed the wheels as instructed and superglued the tires on. I had a couple of the stalls where the tip glues itself to the tire for a moment and stops the smooth round movement necessary for a visully perfect glue job. The insert were nice tapered rubber inserts in pink. Similar in shape to Sorex inserts. They felt like medium stiffness, although the literature with the tire says they are soft. The tire itself is identified with its temperature rating on the inside sidewall, and the tire brand on the outside sidewall. Thats a nice touch that saves you grief later on.
Road test tomorrow. Lap times maybe on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweep Racing 007.JPG
Views:	1426
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	551310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweep Racing Premounts 004.JPG
Views:	5783
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	551311  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 02-05-2010 at 09:05 PM.