R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 07:58 PM
clmbia45
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Julius
I read your PM about this but I'll answer here so all can benefit.

Most servos should fit without problems. Be aware the holes in the servo mount are larger than the screws so make sure the servo is as far "up" in the mount as possible. If you still have problems with it touching the chassis, take a little off the notches of the servo mount so the entire thing goes up a bit. As little as possible though!
The slope is due to the middle bracket shrinking slightly more than anticipated. It is about 0.9mm too low. That means about 0.5 degrees of slope in the radio tray. That is not an issue except for the cosmetics. Most likely we will make a small change in the mould so the top part will be 0.9mm higher. There is no need to shim the tray. Most likely you will no longer have the benefit of the centering function of the nylon protrusions. That will lead to a decrease in stiffness an may cause tweak in the chassis during racing.

In short: "It looks a little funny but that's it"

THE ABOVE WAS POSTED BY JULIUS

Actually, in the front, the bottom of the radio tray is 30.0 mm above my chassis upper surface. The vertical dimension of the middle support is 28.8 mm. Not a great difference from your figure, but if we're going to re-do it....
I considered your fix about trimming a little off the servo mount, but very difficult to do, and retain the nipple which provides the "centering function". I opted for placing an 0.8 mm shim on top of the middle support; it's still 0.4 mm short, but this allowed me to maintain the centering nipple. I made an @ 1 mm washer out of 5/32 OD brass tubing which fits over the screw and fills the hole in the radio tray above the nipple, to prevent the screw from working. Using the Futaba 9550 servo, I still had to remove some of the chassis below it to provide clearance.
This preserves the nylon nipple protrusions and their centering function. The side braces fit perfectly.
I have no idea whether any of this is necessary with other steering servos.