R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - To mod or not to mod
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
PowerHouse
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Modified engines are not for everyone. Many will argue that most stock engines run well enough to be competative and in most cases, they do. A modified engine isn't about just making as much power as possible. Some people need their engines to be stronger, some need them smoothed out, some need more fuel mileage and some need a combination of things. Some things to keep in mind is that some people want the performance of a higher end mill but cannot afford one. Someone like myself who can take an engine that is considered an entry level engine and make it run as good or better than engines more than twice the money is a great selling point. Another great example are the .28 line of engines. A lot of people love the torque of a .28 but can't compete in the fuel mileage game with most of the .21's. They send them to me and most .28's I have modified average 9-10 minutes a tank. Some guys have even gotten 11-12 on some and that depends on a lot of variables but the main thing is, the .28's are now on a level playing field and with the mileage issue out of the equation, it comes down to personal preference. There are a lot of other forms of performance requirements in different areas of the hobby so depending on what you may be trying to do, may dictate whether a modified engine is better suited for that particular application.