R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Solution for the stock class problems
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Owen RaCing
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HI_808
I completely agree. We should let the track and driver skill determine how much straight away speed is optimal.

Using touring car as an example, I think there should be one slow class for beginners like 21.5 with ESCs limited to a special set of cheap low tech BL speedos. The rest should not be separated by motor type, but rather by driver skill, chassis type, bodies, or anything else.

I can see that slower classes can have better battles for some racers, but in reality that doesn't play out since some racers will always have cars with more straight away speed. That only works if everyone is using the same equipment. Furthermore, even in our stock classes, everyone is running TP 5000 mAh 40C lipos so we already have the power for mod at hand. For me, it makes no sense to invest so much time in finding more power when it is already accessible. It sure does make sense if you're one of the guys selling the equipmnent though .
21.5 with slow esc's is a great idea. Stick to racing bodies though. It dosnt matter what bodies look like. My resent thinking reminded me that Buggy and Truggys look nothing like real cars. And those are the 2 biggest rc classes. Make it simple for RC Racers. One, simple, idea. Just slow, and fast. Maybe even sportsman fast.

Originally Posted by JR007
There are 3 problems with your idea:
1. True spec racing is fun as it's more down to drivers skill not gadgets. Sadly user-programmable esc timing killed that (other things like the battery wars only wounded it).
2. There aren't enough people like you ready to man-up and take the challenge. Big fish in small ponds buddy
3. This thread will get swallowed up in whining by a whole lot of people wallowing in the aforementioned small pond that think it's their right to be the 20 year old that hangs out with school kids 'cos they think he's cool!
Spec racing is fun. Sure! Because the racing is closer. Only reason the racing is closer is that 95% of people can race a slow car faster than a fast car. Man up people. Learn to move over for the fast guys.

And don't get me wrong, racing is racing. When it's cheaper to race mod, why pay to go slow??