R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - WHY?
Thread: WHY?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
DOMIT
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Why do we get all excited when a new brand shows up with a so called new design ? Do not get me wrong, competition is good, but is there enough copy cats out there? how many copy's of Novarossi motors are out there?
I'm pretty sure Novarossi engines are updated copies of things that have been made (in various sizes, and originally for aircraft use) for 50+ years. I'm not specifically singling out Novarossi... and I do think they make a good product... but you're way out in left field if you think they "invented" the glow ignition 2 stroke model engine. In fact, I'm pretty sure OS has been at it longer... Cox... McCoy... ThunderTiger... many many more. I understand your point, but your example is one of the copycats, not the originator. Did they improve on older stuff? Yup. Can others also improve on older stuff? (maybe even on theirs?) Also possible.

How about buggy's? do they all work well? we all know that driver's skill and setup is 90% of the equation, what gets me going is the to the market or fairly new players, with no R&D, minimum Q.A, selling copy's of outdated equipment and calling it a new design......WTF.
There is some of that... and there are some things that are "game changers." Note that cream and crap both float to the top. Use the tools between your ears to determine the difference.

But the copy cat manufactures aren't the ones to blaim, but rather the uninformed, wana be racer that buys into it and then raves on how is $220.00 motor blows away a brand name motor, well lets look at it assuming one brand name and one copy cat, all tuning anf fuel beeing the same the brand name motor will outlast and outperfom the copy cat,
So the old OS/Cox/McCoy/ThunderTiger/etc motors will outlast a Novarossi? Or did you mean something different? What leads you to this conclusion?

then we hear ho for two hundred dollars i can get a new motor and the rebuild for a brand name costs more, well I have been using bran name motors and kits for a long long time, and with motors as long as you fallow the manufactures recomendations they are powerfull and last ver, very long I have motors with over 15 gallons still going strong. Wana run a copycat fine do it, just don't brag about how god they are.
Want to run a more expensive engine? Fine, just don't brag about how good they are.

The new Mustang Boss is a sports car,
No it isn't. It is a grand touring car.

and in the 1/4 mille faster than any exotic car,
Any?

but it will never be a Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.
Which means what? How about a Ford GT40? A Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc will never be a Ford... (oops... Aston Martin actually is... in a roundabout way... just like my Jaguar is...)

What I am try to say is apreciate thing for what they are, don't make them look better than what they really are.
Good advice. You should listen to it.

Ok I am done with my rant
Ok, me too... until next time.