R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - PRODUCT REVIEW THREAD... LRP DIGITAL SOLDERING STATION
Old 01-25-2010, 06:38 AM
dameetz
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vm_spb
And what about the station build quality, is it as pleasant as on picture? What about buttons, LCD, iron stand? And the iron connecting cord, is it of silicon and is it soft?
The built quality is excellent....the station size is just right for traveling.....the LCD has a pleasant blue backlit.....the iron stand is black which has a magnetic sensor to automatically reduce the iron temp to 200C, when you pick it up a beep will occur from the station telling you that its in operation the temp will rise immediately after that. The stand also in cooperate as a tip cleaner where a sponge is included (you have to dip it in the water first, after that it will expand) The connecting rod is soft and very flexible, I don't have issue where the cord flexibility is limiting my soldering job.

Would you kindly estimate the time for heating from room and/or from 200C to working temperature, please? There's no any data on that in the spec.
From room temp when I switch it on (the iron is in the holder), I would say like 10 sec temp rising to 200C. From 200C to max 480C (when you pick the iron from the holder) I would say like 5-7 secs....( I ll time it up next time I m using it for better estimate)

Did you solder wires right to a battery (of what kind?) top, at which station temp setting and is it really suitable for that work with its max 1.2mm tip?
What i meant was I m soldering Bullet/banana batt connectors, I ve never have experience soldering the wires directly to the batts (like Sub C) (Actually I started EP racing when Lipo got started to be use) I' m sure there will be no problem for that application. There are 2 types of tips included , one with narrow tip the other are broader type (not sure the exact size though, I have to check it again, its in the box right now...as i said I m not a heavy solder user so I seldom use it....so I keep it in the box and only get it out whenever I require it)