R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ernest Provetti Open letter to RC Industry
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM
TwoTone
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm trying to collect my thoughts and have never been good at expressing them, but I'll try.

I don't think for the average person it's a skill/sponsership problem. They come in and see the speeds and are like holy shit! Then they look around and see what people are driving and start adding up the numbers. Chassis $400-500, ESC $200 etc...

I have no problem racing against really good drivers, it makes you better in the long run.

What I do have a problem with is a cost factor. This is a hobby and honestly I just can't throw tons of money at it and I think are plenty of others in the same boat.

Just look at off road, first came the slash, cheap RTR racing class. Then as more companies followed suit, it's grown from a spec class to a cheaper RTR class.

I'm not saying on road needs a spec class, but it needs a cost controlled class.

Just shooting from the hip , but an example would be- tub chassis, ESC w/, no timing, boost, 3800 lipo etc...

Who knows, I may be off the mark, but if you want new people, I think on-road needs a class where people feel as though money isn't a factor.

As I've said, I don't mind racing the good drivers, but when I do, I don't want it to be with my TA05R, low end ESC and zippy lipos against a Xray T3 with a Tekin on 203 with a $200 SMC lipo.

This way, people will know that in 3 months, they'll still be competing again somewhat equal equipment.

I'll just wrap up by saying I've been in RC for long enough to know you can give me that $1000 car and give a local 'good' drive a cheaper set up and he'll beat me.

The problem is getting new people in and outsiders perceptions. I think that having a cost controlled class would go a long way to alleviate this problem.